Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Monteiths Radler

Appearance: Bright amber, fluffy white head that rapidly dissipates.
Nose: Lemon and lime cordial.
Taste: Lemon and lime lollies a little zesty but not in a hoppy way, very little if any malt.
To give this beer a wider audience Monteiths have given the tame 2.5%ABV usually associated to the style the boot and instead given it a healthy 5%ABV. Doing this has given one of my least favourite styles of beer a bit more guts and made it that much more enjoyable. Now let’s see if I can stay on my bike! A legal battle between DB and The Society of Beer Advocates (S.O.B.A) over the use of the word Radler is currently pending.
2.5 Out of 5
p.s
My original review of this beer was a little more critical, but because I'm doing these reviews for work and don't want to ruin the relationship between store and brewery I changed it. My personal opinion is that a style of beer should not be copyrighted. How can the general population learn more about beer if they cannot knowingly compare variations of that style? Especially when Monteiths Radler isn't even true to the original Radler first created almost 100 years ago. I wish S.O.B.A the best of luck in their on going battle with DB

No comments:

Post a Comment